Thursday, October 11, 2012

Crocheted Rope Rug

Here it is.  The mother of all crochet hooks!  The size S.

I saw a really cool pattern for a rug that you crochet out of rope.  Seemed like a pretty ambitious project so I thought I would give it a try.  After purchasing my size S hook I searched for some rope.  After searching in a couple of places and finding that 300 yards of rope is going to be more money than I wanted to spend, I stopped over at Ocean State Job Lot and found some Mainstays clothesline (I thought that brand was Walmart but I could be wrong) which was much cheaper then anywhere else I had looked.  It was a good size, 3/16ths and 100 feet per roll.  I started out with 3 rolls to see how far that would get me and I am in to my second roll.  The pattern calls for the rug to come out to 4 feet wide which is a little wider then I would like so I may only use the 3.  I figured I can always get more if I need it.  This is my progress so far!
I'm not sure why those two gaps are there but they seemed to have disappeared since I've continued on.




It's pretty tiring for my hands, which are small to begin with, working with such stiff material and such a large hook but I am happy with my progress so far.  When I'm finished I will hide the end that you see sticking out in the middle of the beginning circle.  I stopped at this point because I had reached the end of the first roll of rope.  I taped and sewed the end of the rope to the beginning of the new roll of rope.  It came undone the first time I did it so I had to go back and tape it some more.  Hopefully this time it will stay.  I can't wait to show you the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment